Axis Deer Hunts in Central Texas
Rock Creek Ranch takes pride in offering a great value for your Texas Axis Deer Hunt. Axis meat is fantastic table fare and as well offers a great trophy of a lifetime. This is our customers favorite exotic animal to hunt, we recommend booking early for the months of May. You may hunt trophy Axis deer with the following methods bow or crossbow, spot and stalk, rifle, safari style (from a vehicle) or from a ground blind.
Axis Deer Facts and Hunting Information
Origin: Indian subcontinent in Asia
Antler Size: 26-37 inches
Weight: Males: 134 – 250 pounds | Females: 95-140 pounds
Recommended Firearm for Axis Deer: .270, .30.06, 7mm mag, .300 win
Axis Deer have become one of the most desired of hunted species in Texas. Originally from India, these large deer have a reddish hide with white spots with long, gently curved, three-pronged antler tines averaging up to 35″. Besides the beautiful hide and antlers, exotic game cooks continually seek unique ways to enjoy this delicious venison. Males at Rock Creek Ranch average 200 lbs. plus and horn length between 28-39″.
The axis deer, also know as the chital deer, cheetal, or spotted deer, were introduced at RCR about 30 years ago. The appearance of the coat is pinkish-fawn to a reddish color, marked with white spots, and white underbody. The antlers, which it sheds annually, are usually three-pronged but there some may have more points. The males, can weigh in excess of 250 lbs. they are larger than the females but they can weigh in excess of 150 lbs. It should be noted weights can vary from each ranch depending on the land and animal management, Typical lifespan is up to 14 years. Axis are primarily grazers, however, they will also browse and eat forbs, and branches of trees.
Axis are most commonly in herds of 10 to 50 of both sexes. These animals have a protracted breeding season with birthing throughout the year. For this reason, males do not cycle their antlers at the same time and females are fertile at all times of the year. Males with hard antlers are dominant. Normally one fawn is birthed at a time, on rare occasions two.
The quality of axis meat is outstanding and hides can be manufactured into various ways such as pillows, seat covers and small rugs. Also, the antlers are magnificent to display, and are sought after for uses in furniture coverings and beautiful home accessories.
Typical Weekend Hunt at Rock Creek Ranch
- Check in at 12 pm, guest registration and orientation, sight in at the shooting range, afternoon guided hunt. Followed by cocktails, appetizers, and a full dinner.
- Continental Breakfast, morning hunt, followed by full breakfast. Typically go back out and scout for animals have lunch and go back out for the evening hunt, followed by cocktails, fire, appetizers, and a full dinner.
- Continental Breakfast, morning hunt, and then Departure.
- Range Finder
- Bow, Cross bow, or Rifle
- Rain gear
- Boots for muddy wet conditions or snake proof
Axis Deer Hunt Package Pricing and Example
Our Axis Deer Hunt Package Pricing includes two factors, Lodging fees plus Trophy fees
Lodging Fee for 2-nights, 3-days = $700 ($350 per night)
Plus Trophy fee ($4,000)
Trip Total = $4,700
Lodging Fee of $350 per night includes:
- Home Cooked Meals
- One on One guiding with an experienced hunting guide with full transportation
- Cold Storage walk in cooler
- Complimentary Bass Fishing
- Hog hunts (seasonal)
*Gratuities are appreciated and are not included in above pricing.
Average gratuities are 10-25% percent of the total hunt. Tipping guides, cooks, and skinners is appreciated.
Not included: Texas hunting licenses
Notice: This is a general price list. Price list may vary according to animals, some may be lower and some may be higher. Any animal wounded will be charged at the full trophy as listed.
Axis Deer Hunt Prices
Trophy Axis Deer Hunt: $4,000
Axis Doe Hunts in Texas: $1,000
Deposit for Hunt: $1,050
- Deposit is due upon booking and balance paid in full before leaving ranch.
- Deposits are Non-refundable, but as long as you notify us within 30 days of your scheduled hunt date, you can re-schedule your hunt within the next twelve months at no additional charge, based on availability.