Axis Deer Hunts in Central Texas
Rock Creek Ranch takes pride in offering a great value for your Texas Axis Deer Hunt. Axis meat is fantastic table fare and as well offers a great trophy of a lifetime. This is our customers favorite exotic animal to hunt, we recommend booking early for the months of May. You may hunt trophy Axis deer with the following methods bow or crossbow, spot and stalk, rifle, safari style (from a vehicle) or from a ground blind.
Axis Deer Facts and Hunting Information
Origin: Indian subcontinent in Asia
Antler Size: 26-37 inches
Weight: Males: 134 – 250 pounds | Females: 95-140 pounds
Recommended Firearm for Axis Deer: .270, .30.06, 7mm mag, .300 win
Axis Deer have become one of the most desired of hunted species in Texas. Originally from India, these large deer have a reddish hide with white spots with long, gently curved, three-pronged antler tines averaging up to 35″. Besides the beautiful hide and antlers, exotic game cooks continually seek unique ways to enjoy this delicious venison. Males at Rock Creek Ranch average 200 lbs. plus and horn length between 28-39″.
The axis deer, also know as the chital deer, cheetal, or spotted deer, were introduced at RCR about 30 years ago. The appearance of the coat is pinkish-fawn to a reddish color, marked with white spots, and white underbody. The antlers, which it sheds annually, are usually three-pronged but there some may have more points. The males, can weigh in excess of 250 lbs. they are larger than the females but they can weigh in excess of 150 lbs. It should be noted weights can vary from each ranch depending on the land and animal management, Typical lifespan is up to 14 years. Axis are primarily grazers, however, they will also browse and eat forbs, and branches of trees.
Axis are most commonly in herds of 10 to 50 of both sexes. These animals have a protracted breeding season with birthing throughout the year. For this reason, males do not cycle their antlers at the same time and females are fertile at all times of the year. Males with hard antlers are dominant. Normally one fawn is birthed at a time, on rare occasions two.
The quality of axis meat is outstanding and hides can be manufactured into various ways such as pillows, seat covers and small rugs. Also, the antlers are magnificent to display, and are sought after for uses in furniture coverings and beautiful home accessories.
Typical Weekend Hunt at Rock Creek Ranch
- Check in at 12 pm, guest registration and orientation, sight in at the shooting range, afternoon guided hunt. Followed by cocktails, appetizers, and a full dinner.
- Continental Breakfast, morning hunt, followed by full breakfast. Typically go back out and scout for animals have lunch and go back out for the evening hunt, followed by cocktails, fire, appetizers, and a full dinner.
- Continental Breakfast, morning hunt, followed by full breakfast, and then Departure.
- Range Finder
- Bow, Cross bow, or Rifle
- Rain gear
- Boots for muddy wet conditions or snake proof
Axis Deer Hunt Packages
Trophy Axis Deer Hunt: $3000
Axis Doe Hunts in Texas: $600
$250 Per Day per Hunter will include:
- Home Cooked Meals
- One on One guiding with an experienced hunting guide with full transportation
- Cold Storage walk in cooler
- Complimentary Bass Fishing, Predator and Hog hunts
Deposit is 50% of the hunt. The balance of the hunt is due when departing the ranch. The deposit fee will apply to the trophy fee.
*If a non-hunter comes with a hunter there will be an additional fee of $150 per day.
- Prices are subject to change.
- Management hunts are available.
- Taxidermy and meat processing is available.
*If a wounded animal cannot be found, the full price for the trophy fee will be applied.