Red Stag Hunts in Central Texas
The Red Stag is our Ranch owners favorite deer on Rock Creek Ranch to pursue. Our ranch in Llano and Coppers Cove both offer Red Stag Hunts. Red Stag Hunts provide plenty of meat and a trophy of a lifetime. The males shed their velvet in July August and harder by September, which the rut starts. This is a very exciting time to hunt at Rock Creek Ranch.
You may hunt our Red Stag at Rock Creek Ranch using any method you prefer; bow or crossbow, rifle, spot and stalk, pistol, ground blind, or safari style out of a vehicle. Depending on weather and habitat conditions at the time of your hunt this may change.
Red Stag Facts and Hunting Information
Texas Red Stag Hunting Season: There are no seasonal restrictions on hunting red stag in Texas. However, August – February is recommended. September is the rut for Red Stag, this is the best time to hunt at Rock Creek Ranch.
Antler Size: Male: Typically 5 to 6 points (on one side), but can grow over 20 points. Lengths vary but can be 220 – 400 inches. | Female: Antlerless
Meat: Excellent most popular venison in the United States. Most venison served in the United States is red stag meat.
Weight: Male: 220-750 lbs | Female: 150-300 lbs
Recommended Firearm for Red Stag: 7mm mag, .300 mag, 30.06, Bow, and Crossbow
Red Stags were first introduced to Rock Creek Ranch over 10 years ago. The larger bulls tend to hide on hill sides of cedar and in the more forestry underbrush. In the warmer Texas months it is not uncommon to find them in or wallowing in nearby watering holes. They are heat tolerable and need proper shelter during the cold winds.
This is very Popular on deer farms for venison throughout the United States this is because they are large, and are easier to handle than elk. Although they will interbreed with Elk and hybridize we do not have Elk on Rock Creek Ranch.
Larger Stag will form a crown at the tip of their antlers which are made of bone and can grow over an inch per day in velvet. After their horns harden they will stop growing and drop in the spring months of March. We recommend hunting Red Stag in Texas at Rock Creek Ranch from September to February due to the hardness of horn.
Typical Weekend Hunt at Rock Creek Ranch
- Check in at 12 pm, guest registration and orientation, sight in at the shooting range, afternoon guided hunt. Followed by cocktails, appetizers, and a full dinner.
- Continental Breakfast, morning hunt, followed by full breakfast. Typically go back out and scout for animals have lunch and go back out for the evening hunt, followed by cocktails, fire, appetizers, and a full dinner.
- Continental Breakfast, morning hunt, and then Departure.
- Range Finder
- Bow, Cross bow, or Rifle
- Rain gear
- Boots for muddy wet conditions or snake proof
Red Stag Hunt Package Pricing and Example
Our Red Stag Hunt Package Pricing includes two factors, Lodging fees plus Trophy fees
Lodging Fee for 2-nights, 3-days = $550 ($275 per night)
Plus Trophy fee ($3,500)
Trip Total = $4,050
Lodging Fee of $275 per night includes:
- Home Cooked Meals
- One on One guiding with an experienced hunting guide with full transportation
- Cold Storage walk in cooler
- Complimentary Bass Fishing
- Hog hunts (seasonal)
*Gratuities are appreciated and are not included in above pricing.
Average gratuities are 10-25% percent of the total hunt. Tipping guides, cooks, and skinners is appreciated.
Not included: Texas hunting licenses
Notice: This is a general price list. Price list may vary according to animals, some may be lower and some may be higher. Any animal wounded will be charged at the full trophy as listed.
Red Stag Hunt Packages
Red Stag Bull Hunts: $4,500 – $7,500
Red Stag Hind Hunt: $1000
Deposit for Hunt: $825
- Deposit is due upon booking and balance paid in full before leaving ranch.
- Deposits are Non-refundable, but as long as you notify us within 30 days of your scheduled hunt date, you can re-schedule your hunt within the next twelve months at no additional charge, based on availability.