Fallow Deer Hunts in Central Texas
Fallow Deer Hunts at Rock Creek Ranch will take place at our Copperas Cove Ranch in Central Texas. You will have your chance at a trophy fallow deer, white fallow deer, spotted fallow deer, and chocolate fallow deer. There are no seasonal hunting requirements in hunting fallow deer in Texas, but we recommend to hunt them during September through February when they are hard horned and out of velvet.
You may hunt our Fallow Deer at Rock Creek Ranch using any method you prefer; bow or crossbow, rifle, spot and stalk, pistol, ground blind, or safari style out of a vehicle. Depending on weather and habitat conditions at the time of your hunt this may change.
Fallow Deer Facts and Hunting Information
Texas Fallow Deer Hunting Season: Recommended months are September through February although there is no restriction when to hunt these animals.
Antler Size: Male: 26-38 inches | Female: antlerless
Weight: Male: 150-250 lbs | Female: 55-100 lbs
Recommended Firearm for Fallow Deer: .243, .270, .30/30, .30.06, .308, 7mm mag, .300 win, bow, or crossbow
Fallow deer were introduced to the ranch about 12 years ago and are one of our favorite species on the ranch. A ruminant mammal, it is native to western Eurasia, but has been introduced widely elsewhere. The fallow deer dates back to the 1660s in Ireland.
The uniqueness of the Fallow lies in the four different color variations “common”, “menil”, “melanistic” and “leucistic”. However, the unique palmation shape of the horns is common across the species.
“Common” has a chestnut coat appearance with white mottles or spots. These are most pronounced in summer, turning darker in winter. The tail is light with a black stripe and light colored area around the tail, edged in black.
“Menil”, in the summer, the spots appear more distinct than “common” and in winter the spots are clear on a darker brown coat with no black around the rump patch or on the tail.
“Melanistic” (black) is sometimes called chocolate. Their color remains black with shading to greyish-brown all over. There are no light colored tail patches or spots.
“Leucistic” have an appearance of pure white with no spots, and are not albino.
Adult bucks weigh up to 250 pounds, and does weigh up to 120 pounds. Fawns are born in the spring.They have a lengthy life span of 12-16 years. Only mature bucks from 3 years of age and older have broad and palmated antlers. The first two years the antler is a single spike.
The fallow deer do much of their feeding in open grassy areas, traversing throughout the ranch grazing on native pastures and food plots. These animals are beautiful and elusive. The venison is quite delicious and the hides are as sought after as the trophy horns. Rock Creek Ranch is very proud to be a part of the preservation of the fallow species.
Typical Weekend Hunt at Rock Creek Ranch
- Check in at 12 pm, guest registration and orientation, sight in at the shooting range, afternoon guided hunt. Followed by cocktails, appetizers, and a full dinner.
- Continental Breakfast, morning hunt, followed by full breakfast. Typically go back out and scout for animals have lunch and go back out for the evening hunt, followed by cocktails, fire, appetizers, and a full dinner.
- Continental Breakfast, morning hunt, followed by full breakfast, and then Departure.
- Range Finder
- Bow, Cross bow, or Rifle
- Rain gear
- Boots for muddy wet conditions or snake proof
Fallow Deer Hunt Packages
Trophy Fallow Deer Hunt: $4,500
Fallow Doe Hunt: $500
$250 Per Day per Hunter will include:
- Home Cooked Meals
- One on One guiding with an experienced hunting guide with full transportation
- Cold Storage walk in cooler
- Complimentary Bass Fishing, Predator and Hog hunts
Deposit for the Hunt
If no animal is Harvested and/or Non-Hunters $250 per day
3 day two night hunt ($750)
Additional day cans be added for lodging for $250 per day.
Deposit is due upon booking and balance paid in full before leaving ranch.
* Accommodations and meals are included in the pricing above, tips for hunting guides are NOT included, but are 100% at the hunter’s discretion.
- Prices are subject to change.
- Management hunts are available.
- Taxidermy and meat processing are available
*If a wounded animal cannot be found, the full price for the trophy fee will be applied.